Monday, July 8, 2013

4th of July

As we usually do, we packed up and headed to my family's beach house in Canada for the 4th of July. Some might find it odd that we go to another country to celebrate our country's independence day but that is all I've ever know. I took a ton of pictures over the weekend so this will take a few posts to cover it all.

The weather did not cooperate on the 4th. What do you do with five kids, four and under, on a rainy day? Well, if you're at Coco's house, you churn your own butter.



I was skeptical about this activity when my mom first mentioned it but the kids loved it. In fact, Coco had to referee the battles over who got to hold the jar and who got to turn the crank.


Ned holding and Elliott churning, with Sophia, Luca, and Coco looking on.


Dutch trying to get some of the action.


After a while, Ned said, "Coco, it's getting hard to turn." And that, my friends, is how you make butter! Given the amount of butter used in making breakfast that morning, it was a good thing the kids made more.


During lunch, I looked out of the kitchen to see my dad feeding something to Penny. She has only recently started on solid food and it's still a novel concept so I quickly asked what she was eating. "Cream of pretend soup." Hands down the cutest response and eater. She loved her pretend soup and gobbled it right up.


Elliott decided that he needs to move on from those juvenile sippy cups to stemware. Coco and I were always close by but he did very well drinking out of this glass!


We took the kids down to the dreary beach to let off some steam before lunch. Baths are a must to remove the copious amount of sand these kids bring back from the beach. Sophia and Ned - best friends.


Elliott was saying, "me too!" He wanted his picture taken too.


Three happy kids in the tub.


Elliott enjoyed a naked snack post-bath. Well, naked except for his new Crocs. Oh, those buns!


Penny and Dutch developed a special bond over the weekend. She scooted across the floor to get closer to him and eventually pet him. He responded with a love nibble that she did not appreciate. Later in the day, they traded toys. I wasn't around but someone walked in to find Penny with Dutch's rawhide and Dutch chewing on Penny's pacifier. They are starting early with sharing.



After nap, Sophia and Elliott helped Jesse and Mike install new stairs at Mabel, our guest house.


The kids loved riding in the back of the truck!
 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I am loving all the summer posts. Cannot believe how quickly Elliott has grown into such a toddler. The addition of Dutch just completes the family unit. Speaking of family - I would love to be considered for adoption into the Constantine family. I am falling in love with your entire family. Elliott is so lucky to be a part of this loving family.

    ReplyDelete