Thursday, October 23, 2014

Monterey Bay Aquarium - 2014 Edition

We LOVE visiting the Monterey Bay Aquarium when we're in Santa Cruz. This is one of the best, if not the best, aquariums in the world. We went there in May 2012 and saw so much that I did two posts.

Aunt Jenny White and Elliott with the jellyfish.


I could watch these creatures move all day.


Fishing for something.


Deep concentration.


We had an amazing encounter with an octopus. When we arrived at this tank, he was curled in a ball in the corner. He emerged and really interacted with the kids. Here he is checking out Lila.


Then he moved on to Lucy and we all watched in wonder. A decent-sized crowd gathered to watch their interactions.


She followed his tentacles.


And reached out to touch them.


Then he stretched out.


And probably wanted to eat her. Thank goodness for that glass!


The winner shot.


In action.


I got brave and used my camera on manual for the first time!


His descent.


And back in the corner he goes.


Exploring the touch tank. Everyone should go to the aquarium with a bunch of marine scientists and ship technicians. We are a bunch of tour guides!


Lucy in the giant clam.


I just can't get enough of her!


Oops! It got me!


With all three kiddos.


With my kiddos.


Ned and Elliott in the same clam in May 2012.


Our favorite penguin egg!

Jenny and me in 2007(?). It was funniest the first time.


2012.


2014.


Jesse and me in 2007.


Elliott and me, 2012.


Elliott and me, 2014. 


My attempt at getting a picture with both kids. Not so successful!


With my girl.


We stopped in Moss Landing on our way back to Santa Cruz to see Andrew's ship. He is the captain of the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute's (MBARI) R/V Western Flyer. It's big!


They have an ROV very similar to the one Jesse works on. It was very cool for Elliott to see an environment like Daddy's work. He even got to sit in the pilot's seat!


No comments:

Post a Comment